Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Slow and steady wins the race

I mentioned in my first post that I am a wannabe runner. I am currently training for my first 10k THIS WEEKEND and I am pumped, scared shitless, nervous, and proud all at the same time.

I have been training since January. I started with a Coach to 10k app on my phone, which basically started with the Coach to 5k program and added on. It was a 14 week program. I  got up to the 5k part with it, went on conferences/trips, got off track, and had to find another program.

Running in Vegas was interesting and awesome! But be warned..lots of stairs!
 
I switched to Hal Higdon's 10k Novice program at his week 6. This wasn't ideal, but it worked well for me. His program incorporates short runs, cross training and long runs on the weekends that get progressively longer.

I mentioned that I went on vacation/conferences in the middle of my training. I was worried that would really set me back. I think it did to an extent, but I put in the work when I came back and was active (and ran 2 times) while I was away. I have been pretty dedicated to cross and strength training throughout as well. Honestly, I think just running is boring, and I know that it is not good for my joints. I need to build my muscles in order to be a better runner, and to prevent injury (which I have learned the hard way) !! Also, running is a different type of endurance than say BodyStep...so for me it was and is important to be well rounded to become a better athlete. (Did I just refer to myself as an athlete??? WOAH.)

 

Anyways, all that to say, I have NEVER been able to run this far of a distance. Sometimes I look at my RunKeeper profile and forget whose it is. I am SLOW y'all.  I probably look as though I am dying most of the time. Shorter runs are still hard, which reminds me how far I have to go.

 

I will update about the 10k next week! I am so worried something is going to happen between now and then that will prevent me from running my best, but hopefully all will go well! Do you have any tips for what I should do in the next couple of days to prepare? I am resting Friday but debating if I should cross train today. What do you think? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment