Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Job Search

As mentioned in my welcome post, I am currently in the midst of a job search. I graduate from my Masters program in May, so now is the peak time of cover letters, resumes, and epic stressing out. For a little bit of background, I am getting my Masters in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education. Betcha can't say that five times fast!!

In layman's terms, I am studying College Student Development. If you think about a college or university, think about all of the people that work there besides professors. We are the academic advisors,  career counselors, residence hall directors etc. I was incredibly involved as an undergrad: I was a resident assistant, orientation assistant, in a sorority, and countless other clubs. I adored my supervisors and club advisors, and finally figured out that I could do what they were doing too, I just needed a Masters degree!!  Now looking back, my reasons for becoming a student affairs professional are not the same as they were when I was in college, but I am so happy that I have grown into this field, rather than out of it.

I digress...fast forward to my present-day job search:

There are so many options to consider when looking at potential positions in student affairs. Many of these factors can apply to other fields, but the job search process in student affairs is unique. Here are some major factors I am considering:

  1. Location: For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to live in a big city.  My ideal characteristics are a city that has a strong identity, is walkable, has great restaurants, has a lively community of young professionals. has an active (fit and health oriented) culture, and is primarily liberal. I am open to pretty much anywhere with that in mind- a large city with great public transportation would be a plus! I should also mention that my family is moving to the Pacific Northwest and that is playing a large role in my decision.
  2. Functional Area: In student affairs there are sort of "sub-groups" that your position falls into: residential life and housing, student activities, judicial affairs, orientations etc. I am primarily interested in career development/ academic advising. I enjoy meeting with students one on one to work towards a goal. I love helping a student realize there are SO many options out there, and that your major does not depict your path.
  3. Professional Development Opportunities: Not all positions are one in the same. I am realizing that I am looking for a position with variety. I don't know if I could survive meeting with students one on one all day, and not have any other projects. In my current position there is always something to do. Essentially, I need a position that is going to allow room for me to grow.
  4. Pay and Benefits: Student affairs pays peanuts. Whaddya mean, I have thousands in student loans but I'll only be making 35k? Yes. That is the nature of the field. But some schools, states and positions tend to pay better than others, and I am realizing that I have limits. Call me crazy a dreamer but I would like to have my own place, and maybe be able to buy a car when I graduate.
There are a ton of factors to consider- and even with a "plan" I have found myself throwing my limits out the window and applying to jobs that don't exactly align with all of my goals- and some have actually turned into legitimate prospects! But I am in a place where I am not sure how picky I should be and if I should wait it out for the perfect position to pop up. My biggest fear a couple months ago was whether or not I would get a job by July or August, and though I feel fortunate to have some options on the table, the reverse side of having a job by summer is that there are tons of new jobs that will come open in August- and what if I missed the perfect job in exchange for the right-now job????

Regardless,  I have hope that in the next couple of weeks, things will be a little clearer, and I will be able to self-reflect and honestly be happy with a decision that I make- or a decision will be made for me!


0 comments:

Post a Comment