Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2 years later... (part 1)

Hello there! It has been a while. I am back, but now on the West (best?..) Coast!



I really have wanted to start blogging again - because well, my life has changed SO much in the past two years. Maybe not in a huge impactful way, but in a way that I can't even remember the person I was two and a half years ago. But with everything going on, all of these transitions, all of the events, all of the decisions I have had to make or am making- well, got in the way of even wanting to document these things. But maybe I should have. It could have helped make sense of it all, or maybe kept me grounded. I think as a 20 something who moved across the country, after ending a long term relationship, just starting my first (real) job, in a place I knew no one- change was bound to happen (DUH). And now I wish I had documented more of it, not only for me, but for others who are probably going through similar things. I really don't think my experiences are that unique or special, but that doesn't discount that they were tough, and that I am tougher because of it. So here I am.






Anyways- I think that and with the upcoming transitions I know are going to happen are triggering me to blog again. I am a third year resident director. THREE YEARS. I came into this position uncertain about my path, and I can tell you, I am no more certain than I was 3 years ago. I am certain, however, that I love and appreciate my job in residence life more than I ever thought possible.



In student affairs (and probably lots of careers), there is no certain, clear path for one's career. There isn't a magic formula of positions and years served to get you to that director-ship, or the VP office. When people ask me "what's next?" I don't like to give a concrete answer. Because a) I don't know and b) there are so many possibilities. There are so many pieces of advice given to first-time job searchers, but what about the second time around? How do you know when it is time? What factors into that decision? Are you qualified for the next step?


So all that to say, I am ready to document my journey again and give some perspective on my experiences that can hopefully help others in student affairs, and maybe just 20-something women in general. Establishing myself as a new professional. My struggle with my weight. Starting life in a new city. Dating. My ever-evolving growth as an advisor and supervisor. My struggle with money and budgets. Basically, #adulting









I am so ready for 2016 and seeing what my future holds. I feel very much like I am where I was this time 3 years ago- refocusing on my health and weight loss and preparing for my next career move. At the same time, things are very different. I am excited! 
Stay tuned for my next post as I reflect on 2015 and all this year had in store for me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment